1.04.2013

Razors: Reduce Reuse Recycle

I just bought a new disposable razor and threw the old one in the trash.  Yet another thing headed to the landfill.  There has to be a better way, even the replacement blades are wrapped in so much packaging that they can hardly be considered ecological or minimalist. 
I started to do some research and found several options:
·        Go “au natural” – verdict:  ecological, economical, minimalist, and NOT going to happen
·        Laser hair removal – verdict:  too costly but an ecological and minimalist solution if it was a truly permanent solution
·        Wax instead – verdict: ouch, costly and not minimalist
·        Electric razor – verdict: more ecological, it could be more economical in the long run.  One less thing to buy could be a more minimalist habit than a disposable
·        Use a more ecologically friendly disposable – verdict:  greener, but possibly more cost, same amount of product to buy, dispose of packaging etc. so no more minimalist really
·        Make my disposable razor last longer – verdict:  could be more ecological, definitely more economical and less packaging, one less thing to buy on my monthly shopping trip.  Sounds like a win/win/win IF I can figure out how to make a disposable razor last without sacrificing quality of shave.  I really don’t want to spend the money and carbon I’m saving on band aids. 

So – how to make a disposable razor last longer?
·        Amazing there are many products for sale but I don’t think buying something else is really going to serve my parameters of being more ecological, more economical and more minimalist. 
·        Store the razor in alcohol or mineral oil – seems to be easy enough, somewhat cost effective and ecological.  I could give this a try
·        Sharpen the razor against an old pair of blue jeans – according to wikiHow, if you drag the razor in the opposite direction against an old pair of blue jeans it will sharpen it and lengthen its life.  Interesting.
·        Dry the razor – I never even gave it a second though but if it can make a typical disposable razor last 6 months; run it under your blow drier for 10-15 seconds after a shower – I have mine going for my hair anyway so there is nothing to lose. 
·        Rub the razor against your forearm – opposite direction of the blades.  I am not suggesting you start shaving your arms. I saw this option on several sights and it seems to have no drawbacks.  I think I will try this option first since it seems to have no negatives.  We’ll see how long this razor can last me – I would be happy with March or April.

The best products I found were a Braun Pulsonic Shave (an electric razor that boasted no cadmium, lead or mercury and an efficient charging system) and a Recycline (a disposable razor that was made from recyclable plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment