1.20.2013

Minimalist Gifts

I have a birthday coming up and struggled with what to give without adding to the clutter of someone else's life or my own.  I came up with several ideas:

  • Experience Gifts.  If you are close to the person it may be more personal to take them out to lunch, have coffee with them, go ice skating, or give them a gift certificate for hot air ballooning.  Experiences are what make life rich. 
  • Consumable gifts.  This is what I really prefer to receive.  I'll never turn down a bottle of wine but I really don't want anything that I have to keep.  If I need it, chances are I have it already; if I don't already have it, I probably don't need it.  Wine is my go to but if it isn't appropriate for your recipient consider homemade or luxury items. 

  • The easiest and most appropriate thing in this instance was a gift card or cash. It may seem impersonal, and it may not be right for certain people, but for other occasions it may be the most appreciated option.

  • If going with a gift card I like to add a little note that indicated what I though they might like so there is a personal connection. A gift certificate to a book store with a suggestion for a book they might enjoy can be as personal as getting them that book without having to worry if they have already read it or if it just isn't their style. 
    • Wine
    • Local honey and fancy tea
    • Homemade cookies or treats
    • Crackers, cheese and meat combination for an easy appetizer or a cute picnic
    • Ready mix soup or hot chocolate gifts - check out http://www.womensbeanproject.com/
    • Handmade sugar scrub or other beauty product

No comments:

Post a Comment