1.08.2013

Minimalism - Digital Receipts


When I am buying something and am asked if I want a receipt I almost always turn it down.  I don't itemize my taxes and most things I purchase I don't expect to return.  But I am always so disappointed to see the cashier crumple up the paper that automatically prints from the register. I didn't save any paper by my request I just transferred the responsibility of dealing with the waste from me to the cashier. 

Yesterday I stopped in Office Depot to pick up a new notebook.  While checking me out the cashier asked if I wanted a paper or digital receipt.  I am so used to answer this question with a simple "no thanks" that I confused the poor guy.  I hadn't seen a store offer a digital receipt before but I think I really like the idea. 

I'm not 100% sold yet, you do have to provide your email address, which they will probably use for marketing purposes, but I bet that the benefits outweigh that negative.  I look forward to the day I never get a piece of paper in the checkout line.  Wouldn't it be great to always have the receipt you are looking for just be searching your inbox?  With more and more stores offering it I may set up a separate email account or a filter for any receipts. 

One less piece of clutter to deal with.  Now if only I can get Safeway to stop printing me a three foot long receipt with every purchase.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, really....it shouldn't be that hard for the company-most gas stations already give you a choice for a receipt-I think we hussy need to let the stores know we want this as an option.

    ReplyDelete